Today was a very good and interesting day!! :)
When I first came in, Salmina had me put the candied lemon on the Lemon Bite Size.
Then I made 3 trays of Fruit Flan.
Then I had to go see what the party near Steve's work station was all about! Amal Fruit, Saad, Amal S., and Erika were all in and out of there. Well... the big fuss was.... ladyfingers!! To all the non-Culinary/Baking people, I do not mean literal fingers. Or ladies, for that matter. :P Lol! I mean the soft, light strip shaped cakes that are used for Tirimisu and garnishes. I have been wondering whether Sweet Dreams makes or buys their Ladyfingers, but hadn't asked anyone yet. I'm happy to report that they are 100% homemade, that's one of the many things I love about the bakery!! :) First, Steve whipped a mixture of what I have to guess to be egg yolk, leavening, and sugar. (I did not see him putting the ingredients in, only mixing it with one of the big mixers.) After that was fluffy and yellow, and looked similar to the vanilla cake batter, Amal Fruit distributed it into the large bowls. Then the meringue was whipped- this time with sugar, not the citric acid stabilizer. Before the meringue was folded in though, I added the flour to the bowls, and then Steve folded it all together. He used just his cupped hand to fold it all together, which I thought was interesting! He said something about how "the Chinese can use the hand as a knife, but they couldn't cut this tomato... Introducing the (something or other) 5000" I don't know if it was just a joke, or a commercial or what, it was kind of amusing though. Then Amal Fruit dumped the batter into the batter depositor machine, which Amal S. was putting sheets through and operating. Then Erika was sifting the confectioner's sugar over the top of them, and putting them on one of the large speed racks, which would later be rolled into the "walk in" oven and baked to light, golden perfection. :)
After I watched that process for a little bit, Amal Fruit said that she needed me to make 20 of the 6" Oreo Delight cakes, and 15 of the 9". So I started on those, de-panning them, using the machine to slice them, setting them up, filling them with whipped cream and crushed Oreo bits, layering them together, and then frosting them with whipped cream. Rolo put the dark chocolate shavings around them, and the Oreo bits on the top to identify it. That was the last of my duties for the day. I assembled the 6" cakes, but will frost them tomorrow.
Amal is so precious! I'm really glad I got to work with her again today! :) She is so sweet! She shared some orange with me, and made whipped cream (it's a blend of cream and non-dairy base), and said she loved me a lot because she never does either of those things for anyone else. I just got kind of shy like I do, but smiled and said something like "aww, thanks!" :D Anyway, I know we will both miss each other when I leave. Well, if I leave. Yesterday I had an interview with Jason from Camp Matoaka about the Head of Culinary Arts position- he said they would give me an answer by the end of the week. He was a little concerned about my lack of experience with groups of girls and being able to keep them in line and also living with them, and what not. We'll see what happens there. Today I talked to Sam with Tripp Lake about a baking position, she didn't say much about the job or camp, she wanted to ask more about my application and asked for a reference from JWU. Tripp Lake would be more large scale though, I think she said 300-500 people per meal. That could be a stressful challenge, but also a really great experience and fun! Also, I know Salmina wants me to stay on, and I really do love the bakery and everyone that works there! It is nice having options, but it is kind of stressing me out too. All will be well though! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment