Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Day 14 & 15

Today was another day in this weird week.

I made some progress with Salmina, she let me cut the Rocky Road Brownies. At first she did her typical disapproval of nodding her head and saying "No, it's not right. It's too big." But she was patient, and made strips of paper as a guide for me to cut with. I was happy and surprised she didn't just give up on me and finish it herself. Maybe she feels bad for me, I've been hanging around bored a lot lately. She did suggest I practice piping in times like that, which I've thought about myself.

Also today I cut strawberries, made cake crumbs with Rosa (using an attachment on the mixer), and practiced icing on the round and square Styrofoam cakes. I wrapped cheesecake, the brownies, and something else I think. Salmina has kind of taken me under her wing a bit. She is still somewhat intimidating and I do my best to not mess up, I hate that look and shake of her head in disapproval. Oh, the new boy, who apparently makes ice cream all day (not really sure just yet, I will ask when I get the chance), went around asking if anyone wanted ice cream. Who could say no to that since it's freshly made and delicious?? So I had some just in time for my lunch. :) Anyhow, he seems interesting I guess, he speaks English, so that's nice, another person to add to that list.

Oh, Mama Josephine and Rita have been kind of irritating me today. They just kind of butt in with whatever I'm doing and then just wander off again, whether or not the task is done. It's a little weird and frustrating, they just kind of take over. Also, Mama made me really upset, I was going to help Amal Fruit with cakes she was doing (like I have a bunch already) and she gestured at me and told me to go away, or something like that. I never really know what she's saying, but she was scary and clearly yelling at/scolding me. I'm not sure if it showed, but that really upset me. So I decided it was lunch time and then looked for something to do afterwards. (Thankfully, Sam had me help Rosa after lunch.)

But this week has been a little rough, I'm glad tomorrow is the weekend. Being the only intern has its advantages and disadvantages.


Day 15 
Today was good, very good!! Although everyone was freaking out because it was snowing pretty steadily around 8 or so- nobody wanted snow. That's besides the point though. As usual this week, there wasn't really anything for me to do. Or no one commandeered my help at least. So as Salmina suggested yesterday, I decided to work on my piping/decorating skills. She got a piping bag, coupler, and tips for me while I got the frosting and dummy cake. Then I went to work and just had fun, I really got "in the zone" today, which hasn't happened in a while. :) I got frustrated sometimes, but then again, I did that my entire shift-decorating, that is- so I was bound to. At certain points, Sam would come over and show me something or correct a technique. He also put the cake-which was already on the turntable- on a tall Cambro, making it up very high. It looked quite funny and made me feel like a giant, it was very effective though!! Basma, one of the ladies who works up front, said something about how tall it was at one point, how she had walked by it several times but hadn't connected how it was basically taller than her. It was funny but embarrassing (already feeling like a giant), it was amusing though, and Chad especially thought so! I made one design I liked, I copied a picture of one of the cake designs, at Salmina's suggestion, and then I tried swags and drop icing. I think drop icing is the term, it's getting late though and I could be wrong. Later I will have to add in the pictures I took of the cake I decorated. It was very nice though, and a welcome break, a good transition into the weekend!

I made some super delicious chicken, I finished "Catching Fire", and went to Meijer for a few groceries and to look around at everything.  

I better write down how I made the chicken, I definitely want to share it with ya'll and make it again for myself!!

Basically, I wanted a somewhat sweet but still savory chicken dish. So I took my chicken boobs, (thawed), cut out the fat and gross stuff, dipped it into a beaten egg. Then rubbed it into a mixture of crushed pretzels, cinnamon (that was the main flavor I was aiming for), garlic powder, salt, and a little bit of pepper. I thought the flavors would meld together well, but I wasn't really sure, I just went for it anyhow though. Oh, preheat the oven to 350-375!! I put some butter (a Tablespoon or so), some oil, honey, and almonds on the bottom of the pan I used, and mixed it together. Glass or metal 8" is preferred. a sheet pan with sides is fine too. Anyhow, egg, seasoning & pretzels, then into the pan with the butter and such. After I put the almonds on the bottom I realized they would keep the chicken from touching the bottom of the pan, so I flipped them onto the top, coating both sides of the chicken in the honey/butter/almond mix. Then pop the pan into the oven for like 10 mins or so, check the chicken, if it's not pink, then it's done! Or temp check it. Oh, also the last few minutes of cooking I decided to add more honey, thinly slice an apple and put it over the top of the chicken. I just wanted them a little soft, but mostly warm. You could add them for a softer texture. I don't like cooked apples though, so I just wanted my warm and slightly softened. Get those the way you want them, then plate your chicken and enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment