Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 14, 2015

The End of Week One!

Today was Day 5!!

 It's hard to believe it's been 5 days- it seems so much longer, but at the same time, I'm still getting used to everything. Let's see, I went in an hour later today- 8 am- because I didn't sleep well and Stephen (who I would be working with for the day) was coming in later too. I did my time card (I still have difficulty with that, I never know where the time stamp is actually going to end up!), then headed to Amal Fruit's work station. We talked for a bit, then she had me go over to Mona's area until Stephen got there. (Mona is the lady I worked with on day 1 and the entire time I had thought was Amal S. Mona is not her first name, it's her last name but she says her first name is hard to say. I think I got pretty close on the first try, it is just a long name and I don't remember what it was.) Anyhow, I worked with her all day because Stephen ended up not coming in. We got a lot done!! She would tell me what I needed to do and help or show me what to do as needed, and then I would do it. Most of the time she was working on making Black Forest Cakes using the fancy & awesome dispenser machine thing that pipes out the perfect amount of filling each time. Anyhow, I started off with 9" chocolate chiffon cakes, approximately 108 (54 at a time), taking them out of the pan and then cutting them in half, stacking them 3 layers high, and putting them on cake boards. Mona took them and used them to make the Black Forest Cakes. After that was done, I took pre-filled and cut 6" Tirimisu cakes and frosted them with cappuccino and rum flavored whipped cream then covered the edges in some kind of coffee granule sprinkle things. After I got done with those, I moved on to Carrot Cake, doing the same thing but with cream cheese icing and walnuts. The last project before I left was de-panning, cutting, filling, boxing up and freezing 6" chocolate cakes. These were for the Sweet Dreams cakes, which are filled with chocolate Bavarian cream, whipped cream, and flavored with raspberry (probably raspberry jam or filling). I made approximately 69 of those. It was getting pretty late- a little after 5, when I finally finished those up. I was getting pretty tired out and my mind had been drifting all day. I had weird Disney songs & songs I listened to when I was a kid, I was thinking about Robert, I was thinking about it being the weekend soon and the things I needed to do, I was listening to the sounds of Mona & I working... My mind has been a jungle today. But as I said, it was getting pretty late and I was ready to go home. Mona comes over with a sample size Black Forest Cake for me, and insists I "eat, eat". She has already done that with Baklava, pizza for lunch, grapes, the cream cheese icing, the chocolate raspberry mousse, these wonderful & strange "cookies" with hazelnuts... I certainly won't go hungry around here, not with all my female Arabic co-workers insisting that I "eat, eat" or "try this, you must try this". They are very motherly and cute like that! :) There ended up being two Sweet Dreams cakes left that didn't fit in the box, so she had me cut & fill two more. She made a small Black Forest Cake for me to "take to your boyfriend, slice and share it with him. Show him what you are doing all day." If only I could... :( But I brought it home and Aunt Chrissy was very very happy and loved it! Anyway, I thought that was very sweet of Mona, and I really appreciated the thought and gesture. :) I got out at 5:30, successfully drove home without getting lost, and Chrissy ended up being home- she has the weekend off- so we talked some then both  of us were really tired and retired to our areas. I am just really exhausted and don't feel very good. :( Good thing it's the weekend, I'll have time to rest up, relax, and prepare for another exciting week!! :) Have a great weekend readers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment