Yesterday I didn't feel very good, which made the day kind of rough. I couldn't talk for a good 45 minutes or something, and Amal Fruit felt very bad for me, and told Mama and a few other people that I couldn't talk and was sick. She is very motherly and sweet! :) She had me sit down, gave me water and naan, and had me slice strawberries for filling in the Berry Delight (I think that's the name) cakes. After I sliced a bowl for her, and one for Melanie, we cut, filled, and frosted cakes then put the strawberries and blueberries in with the white chocolate mousse. I believe we did the same with more cakes- Dynasty I think. Then Amal passed me on to Melanie, who had me practice frosting a dummy cake, talk about frustrating! But I got out at 3:30, got lost (stupid Campbell road always mixes me up!) and finally got home.
Day 4: Today was good! Amal Fruit was very happy, because yesterday after work she had gotten some kind of something where she got semi-permanent dentures or something like that, and was especially smiley because of that! I worked with Stephen though, we made what seemed like endless amounts of Yellow Chiffon Cake, it took us from 7:30-1 or so to make, bake, cool, stack & store all the cakes. The Chiffon cake is not exactly what we did at JWU, the yolks were not whipped, only the whites. The oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, salt, flours (cake & all-purpose), and anything else I'm not remembering, were all mixed in the largest mixer at the bakery- taller than I am, and I could certainly sit inside of it- until blended and then mixed some more. I was getting worried that the cake would be over-mixed, and that Stephen wasn't paying enough attention to it, but he knew what he was doing. The batter was getting a beautiful pale yellow and getting fluffy. The batter was divided into 14 lb. in bowls then set aside. After I thought that only the chocolate cake was Chiffon, he began whipping the whites. 6 1/2 cups of egg whites, one spoon of citric acid (to stabilize), and a few minutes on the mixer and the whites were a fabulous, fluffy, meringue. Stephen added about 3-4 bowl scraper fulls to each 14 lb. of batter, then let the rest of the meringue whip just a bit more. Then stopped it, lowered the mixer, removed the whip, and put the mixing bowl on the workstation in what seemed to be one fluid motion. One bowl of meringue is then folded into each bowl of batter. Then one bowl-ful is put into each pan (no spray or parchment required) and baked until a light golden color and springy to the touch. Pans are put upside down onto parchment lined cooling racks and then cooled until they are able to be handled. Once cooled, the pans are stacked with cake circles between, piled onto a cart and stacked into the freezer. The process is repeated until you've made at least 225 cakes. Today we made 9", eight 10", some 12", and eight large square sheet pans. After Stephen left for Costco, I was back to working with Amal Fruit, we made some 6" Dynasty cakes. She was laughing so hard because whenever we frost 6" cakes, they slide around on the turntable, so I tried to make it stay. First I folded the towel in half, but it still was larger than the cake and got in the way of frosting. I then tried folding it into four, it raised the cake a good 2" or so, just from that she started laughing hysterically, told Wafa about it. She said it was a good idea, but then the cake started wobbling back and forth and we were just laughing hysterically, and my face turned bright red! It was really great, Amal was so amused! We finished up with the cakes, then she showed me how to do whipped cream rosettes on top of the Strawberry/Berry Delight cake. We cleaned up and called it a day.
One more day until the weekend. :)
Oh, Stephen also told me about "Under the Radar" a show that goes around to different restaurants
Habibi- (ha. bee. bee.) "my love" in Arabic, but basically is a term of endearment, used for almost anyone. Stephen told me what it means today, but at first I thought it was someone's name, and then I figured out it must be a term of endearment meaning something like "sweetheart" or "honey". I was close. :)
Ay- yes, La- no

No comments:
Post a Comment