I have really been thinking a lot lately about friendships. I have found that they are so unsteady! I have decided that there is no such thing as a "best friend," every friend is the best in their own way! It is just rude and exclusive to give one friend superiority, one person is there for you at one time, and the other at another time! Also, just about every time I proclaim someone as "my best friend" I lose them, or hurt others by doing so. No one wants to feel inferior.
On the other hand, I want to be the best friend I can be, I don't want to be the "best friend" I just want to be someone that others can depend on. Someone who is reliable, helpful, supportive, loving, can make someone cheer up or be happy no matter what, and someone who always has time for you! Everyone deserves a friend that is the best, someone who has no secrets, someone you have this inexplainable connection with, someone who can finish your thoughts- let alone your sentences- someone who completes you.
Sometimes I wonder if it is even possible to be the kind of friend I want to be. I will have to make small person changes and sacrifices if I even want to try. First of all, I would have to give up my time and energy. I would have to commit to always responding to a text or call, and making sure that I say 'hi' when I see someone, to smile, to wave, to offer help to those who need it. All in all, this task becomes quite lofty, when you think about all the ways someone could need you, and all the ways you could help! However, I want to make a commitment, even if it's just to myself, to be the best I can be! To be the best for myself, to be the best for others, and to be the best friend that I can be.
To me, friendships have become more of a phase. For a time you're friends with someone, for a little while you are close and proclaim to never be otherwise, you can't ever imagine a day without at least talking to them. But then a day goes by, and you find that you survive. You miss them, and it feels wrong, but your day goes on regardless, and you realize it isn't really so bad. If you're lucky, this won't continue to happen, so you will simply have to trust that what I believe happens next is true. However, as the sad story of life has told me, this occurrence does happen. Your closest friend and yourself talk less and less, you see each other less, and when you do see each other, some of the significance, some of the togetherness is gone. This downward trend continues to happen, until you feel such distance from he or she that your friendship is just not even repairable, and you're not even sure that trying to invest in it is worth it. At this point, you have reached the beginning of realizing that friendships, and all relationships, are for a time, not forever. Nothing can last forever, it's the disappointing truth. Even the people that mean the world to you, your significant other, your parents, your siblings, have to leave at some point. I'm not saying everyone you ever know, or have ever known will abandon you, I am simply pointing out that everyone must go at one time or another. This life is so very temporary.
You change or others change, perhaps even both of you change. You move on, go new places, do new things, meet new people, aspire to achieve new goals. One day you wake up and figure out that you are simply not the person you were last year, last month, or maybe even last week. This is not always, and does not have to be, a bad thing. If you never changed, you would not be human. Humans are constantly changing, our bodies are changing, our minds are changing, we're growing, we're learning, we're a little different everyday, even if the changes are minuscule.

No comments:
Post a Comment